Available for virtual visits in : Alberta, British Columbia, the Northwest Territories and Nova Scotia
Home Province: Manitoba
Genre: Middle-Grade Fiction
Target Audience of novels: Ages 7 -13
Cost for School and Public Virtual Presentation with CCBC subsidy: $200.00
Virtual Presentation Information:
OPTION # 1 – Aimed at youth (7-13)
Overview First Nation issues within the Mighty Muskrats Mystery Series
The Mighty Muskrats Mystery Series touches on the topics of environmental degradation, residential schools/60s Scoop, impact of urban landscape on Indigenous people, loss of ceremony due to colonialism, and revival of traditional spiritual practices. While giving a brief overview of the history of these issues and the Canadian-First Nation relationship. The class would include a 5-8 minute reading as well as 15 minute Q&A session at the end. Other topics touched on:
- Author’s advice for young writers;
- Biography on author and what inspired him to write the Mighty Muskrats Mystery Series;
- How the author’s life experience and career contributed to the messages within the books;
- The importance of creating and better representation of First Nations and all economic classes in Canada;
- The need to create a better understanding of the Canadian-First Nations history and how to use greater understanding to build a better relationship.
OPTION # 2 – Aimed at all ages
Hunters or Gatherers: building characters using worldview
The class involves flushing out the idea of a worldview and how a character’s worldview influences their decision making. Question put to the class include:
- What is a worldview?
- Can creating their character’s worldview help an author better define a character’s actions?
- How do people be good people within their worldview?
Other topics touched on include:
- Hunters vs Gathers: how attitude towards the world defines action;
- Peace Chief or War Chief: defining how a character handles conflict;
- Numbers: how numbers create worlds;
- Seven Generations concept and its impact on a character;
- Discussion of Worldviews: Abrahamic, First Nations, Tarot, Modern.
The class will also include a 15 Q&A session at the end.
Published books in the Mighty Muskrat Mystery Series:
The Case of Windy Lake, Second Story Press, 2019
The Case of the Missing Auntie, Second Story Press, 2020
The Case of the Burgled Bundle, Second Story Press, 2021
Coming in 2022: The Case of the Rigged Race.